Sunday 30 June 2013

Ovacue monitor review

Looking online, I then found the Ovacue monitor and decided to buy it.

I only used it for two month. I didn't like the vaginal probe, and the mouth reading didn't do anything valuable except for counting my fertile days around an ovulation date of day 14. My cycle is 34 days long and I now know that I do not ovulate on day 14.
The vaginal probe is a lot bigger than on the photos and is very unpleasant to use - if you are trying to get pregnant in winter, well think about the temperature of your bedroom...and think about how that feels "in there" first thing as you wake up. A real turn off for any morning romance!

The OvaCue is a saliva-based electronic fertility monitor designed specifically for trying-to-conceive couples. With the OvaCue, you can predict your ovulation date up to seven days in advance by measuring changes in the electrolyte concentration*.

 

I have not manage to convince myself that this fertility monitor does anything more than count days, but the reviews are very mixed...maybe it only works for people with regular cycles. I have added 2 reviews from  other users below.

I used this item for several months and got to realize that it always indicates the fertile days based solely on your cicle length. It's a lie that it measures electrolytes in your saliva to detect the fertile days.
I used this and another ovulation detector at the same time and the OvaCue kept telling me that my fertile and peak days were between day cycle 12 and 17. The other one said I was on fertile days...but not marked any peak until day 28, when it detected the ovulation day (I had irregular cicles during the last 3 months and the OvaCue always said my fertile days were from 12 to 17). Finally I got pregnant that very long cycle on day 28 or 29 (which I confirmed on day 30 with a raise in my basal temperature). Obviously, had I kept using the OvaCue I had never gotten pregnant. So, don't waste your money and invest in a serious fertility monitor (the other one I used it for only two months, the second one I got pregnant). Gaby Castillo (Mexico - Amazon review)


A more positive review comes from the Harper family:

She got pregnant using it, and she took some useful pictures ( I wish I did, but at the time I was mad to have it not work and I sold it on Ebay... for $25).

The photo below is the screen of the monitor, in blue are your fertile days, and in pink is your supposed ovulation date.
 
 
She very helpfully took a photo of the mouth sensor in action. I will spare you photos of the vaginal probe in action...but for comparison the mouth probe is small!
 

And looking at the Medical journals, I couldn't find any articles published showing an increased pregnancy rate. That makes me doubt the quality of it.

*Reference: http://www.ovacue.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment